Crittenton Home was originally the home of David Carroll, owner of the Mount Vernon Mill Company. The building got its name after being absorbed by the Florence Crittenton Mission in 1925. The Mission was started in 1882 by wealthy New Yorker and…

First established in the mid to late 1700s, the Whitehall Grist Mill is a legacy of Baltimore’s early growth as a major center for flour production. In 1839, the mill’s owners converted the facility into a cotton mill weaving the cotton…

Erected in 1811, the Mount Washington Cotton Mill was built to serve the growing demand for domestic textile manufacturing after President Thomas Jefferson's 1807 embargo on British goods and the war against Napoleon in Europe stifled international…

With the opening of Meadow Mill in 1877, constructed during the depression of the 1870s, showed off the resilient success of the mills along the Jones Falls in Hampden and Woodberry. The building served as a show piece for owner William E. Hooper and…

In the nineteenth century, Baltimore was the world's leading supplier of cotton duck, a material that was used in items from uniforms and tents to sailcloth and parachutes. Much of it was made at a sprawling complex of mill buildings collectively…

In the early 1800s William E. Hooper started a flour mill at the current site of Clipper Mill . Converted to produce cotton cloth in the 1830s, the complex expanded into several new buildings along the Jones Falls. In 1843, Robert Poole opened a…