In December 1919, the Rainbow Theatre first opened on Pennsylvania Avenue entertaining an African American audience with vaudeville performances and films. The theatre continued in operation until 1925 and then spent a decade as a garage. The…

The first building for the Avenue Market, originally known as the Lafayette Market, was built in 1871. In the twentieth century, the market and the Old West Baltimore neighborhood thrived as the Pennsylvania Avenue became a center of Baltimore…

The Arch Social Club at Pennsylvania and North Avenues started its life as the Schanze Theater, a movie house constructed in 1912. After serving time as a restaurant in the 1940s through the 1960s (when the lower facade was covered over), the club…