South Bond Street features a handful of nineteenth century wooden houses, including several built before the War of 1812. A relatively diverse population of European descent made up the neighborhood during the early 1800s. Martin Breitenoder, a German, owned a bakery at 820-22 S. Bond (c.1802). His neighbors included a French cabinetmaker, an Italian named S. Belli, who manufactured “philosophical apparatus and other works in pewter and lead,” and an Irishman who ran a tavern at the “Sign of the Revenue Barge.” Irish, English, and Scottish boot and shoemakers are nearby, one of whom, Edward Hagthorp, made fine shoes at 816 S. Bond.
The street’s finest house, 830 S. Bond (c. 1783) passed from builder Thomas Winning to his daughter in the 1790s before Thames Street innkeeper Daniel James acquired the house after the War of 1812.
809 South Bond Street is a good example of the simple wooden houses that filled Fells Point at that time. Deed research has only identified the owners as far back as 1851, when the property was sold to John Fernandis and Maria Locke.