North Point Branch - Baltimore County Public Library

Dedicated in March 1965, the North Point branch of the Baltimore County Public Library is a sharp example of modernism in the southeastern suburbs. The building was designed by the local firm of Smith and Veale, a partnership of architects Thomas Smith and Graham Veale, who placed the structure on a raised terrace to help it stand out from the neighboring school and shopping center. The building's dedication on March 14, 1965 was attended by Baltimore County executive Spiro T. Agnew, county librarian Charles W. Robinson, and pastors from the Dundalk Methodist Church and St. Rita's Catholic Church.

This library was the fourteenth built in Baltimore County and the second largest after the Catonsville branch. The library's exhaustive collection of maritime literature, which included many out-of-print volumes on ship models, sailing, piracy, whaling and maritime history, was a legacy of then librarian and enthusiastic sailor Robert E. Greenfield. Today, the library collections include historic photographs of Dundalk, Sparrow's Point, Turner Station and other area communities.

Images

Map

1716 Merritt Boulevard, Dundalk, MD 21222