Aquila Randall Monument

On July 21, 1817, Captain Benjamin C. Howard’s First Mechanical Volunteers formed up early in town and marched six miles to the North Point battleground. Accompanying them were wagons conveying the monument blocks to be assembled and dedicated on…

Flag House

In this small brick house on East Pratt Street, Mary Young Pickersgill, assisted by her mother and niece, designed and fabricated the Star-Spangled Banner. This fifteen star, fifteen stripe flag flew over the ramparts of Fort McHenry while it was…

Riverside Park

Today, from the rise within Riverside Park, established in 1875, a visitor can see the rowhouses and churches of South Baltimore densely packed around the park in every direction. During the War of 1812, this rise, long known as Look-Out Hill,…

Fort McHenry

Fort McHenry's history began in 1776 when the citizens of Baltimore Town feared an attack by British ships. An earthen star fort known as Fort Whetstone was quickly constructed. The fort, like Baltimore, was never attacked during our first conflict…