Located on Hillen Street, the Null House is a rare eighteenth century home dating from around 1782. Once common throughout the city, only a handful of these small wood frame houses remain, largely in Fells Point. Named for the antique shop that occupied the property from 1929 through the 1970s, the Null House itself was nearly demolished to make way for a parking lot but, in 1980, the property was thankfully relocated and preserved.
Originally located at 1010 Hillen Street, the house was east of the Jones Falls on land belonging to John Moale, Jr. (1731-1798), who in 1752 sketched the earliest view of the Town of Baltimore. The house was built between 1782 and 1784 for Stephen Bahon, a blacksmith around the same time the area east of the Jones Falls was annexed into Baltimore City. In 1784, it was purchased by Wolfgang Etschburger, a veteran of the American Revolution who later also served during the War of 1812. From about 1850 to 1880, the building was used to sell flour and meal; the Italianate storefront may date from this period. In the early twentieth century, the building was the headquarters of the Excelsior Printing Company. From 1929, it served as an antique shop run by the Null family until the 1970s.
The building almost met its demise in 1980 when Baltimore Gas and Electric Company wanted to raze the building for a parking lot. On September 28, 1980, the building was moved 300 feet diagonally across the street to its current location. The contractor who undertook the job was Teddy Rouse, son of famous developer James Rouse. The Null House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1983.