Furness House

A slice of English architecture, the Furness House was built in 1917 by architect Edward H. Glidden. Glidden also designed the Washington Place Apartments in Mount Vernon and the Marlboro Apartments on Eutaw Place (home to the famed art-collecting Cone sisters). The Furness House was built as offices for an English steamship line and named after shipping entrepreneur Christopher Furness. The building is an example of the English Palladian style, which has roots in Italian architecture, particularly the works of Andrea Palladio. It features a large Venetian window and looks like many commercial building built in England built around the same time. The Furness House was renovated in the 1990s and operates today as a conference center.

Watch our Five Minute Histories video on this building!



19 South Street, Baltimore, MD 21202