R. House was built on the southwest corner of the intersection of Remington Avenue and West 29th Street in 1924 as the Eastwick Motor Company garage. Up until the 1920s, most of Baltimore’s car dealerships were located in the "automobile triangle" bounded by Mount Royal, North Avenue, and Howard Street. The 2-story rectangular brick building, constructed to expand Eastwick, reflected the growing importance of Remington to automobile sales and service in the 1920s. Directories referred to the building as the "Dodge Maintenance Building" in the late 1920s, but the design makes clear that it was always intended to work as a showroom as well.
In 1926, Harter B. Hull, a successful automobile magnate in Memphis with Baltimore ties and a rising star in the dealership world, purchased the Eastwick Motor Company. After his untimely death in 1930, Gilbert A. Jarman, an officer and director of the Hull operation, assumed ownership control. Jarman Motors, Inc. expanded over the years and occupied the property up until 1968. Anderson Motor Company bought the property in 1994.
The Seawall Development Corporation purchased the property in 2014 and began a $12 million conversion of this former 50,000-square-foot automotive building to turn it into the R. House: a “food hall” featuring ten chefs.