Loudon Park Cemetery
James Carey originally sold the generous country estate that became Loudon Park Cemetery in 1853. The new owner, James Primrose, built a stone wall with an ornamental railing at the cemetery entrance and enlisted an engineer to map out lots for purchase at twenty-five cents per square foot. The cemetery’s popularity grew quickly, leading to reburials from Green Mount Cemetery, Loudon’s greatest competitor. The cemetery made a series of large land purchases including William F. Primrose’s nearby “Linden” estate. In 1895, the cemetery purchased the last parcel of land bordering on Wilkens Avenue to build a main entrance to the grounds. This still serves as the main entrance to this day.
Loudon Park Cemetery became the first cemetery to have its' own trolley system, opening a railway line in 1905. Baltimore City used a special trolley car named the “Dolores” to transport caskets and grieving family members to the cemetery gate. From there, the family transferred to the cemetery’s personal trolley and a horse-drawn hearse carried caskets to the grave. Baltimore City sold the cemetery two rail cars, later renamed “Loudon” and “Linden”. Equipped with oak finishes and velvet lining, each car seated up to thirty.
The National Cemetery and Confederate Hill also occupy space at Loudon Park. During the Civil War, Maryland contributed around 63,000 Union forces and about 22,000 Confederate forces. As a “border state” families from both sides needed to bury their loved ones. Loudon Park sold a portion of its land (5.28 acres) on the eastern boundary to the government for the burial of Union soldiers. Lots sold at ten cents for soldiers and twenty-five cents for officers. Confederate Hill came about as lot-holders with southern sympathies donated their plots for the burial of Confederate veterans. On the southwest corner of the Loudon Park National Cemetery, a stone monument marks the burial place of twenty-nine Confederate soldiers who died at Fort McHenry as prisoners.
Cemetery monuments mark more famous plots such as the Jerome Bonaparte Monument by the remains of Napoleon’s nephew, niece-in-law, and several other members of the Bonaparte family. The family of Charles Weber, who established the Fifth Regiment Band, erected a mausoleum lined in Japanese Hollies with his likeness etched in stained glass. Richard B. Fitzgerald’s striking monument contains beautiful statues and large urns while the Weisskittels built a silver-painted, cast-iron one. Lastly, the Weissner Monument, for the family that once owned the American Brewery, stands tall with detailed angels and urns.