In 1879, Charles T. Bagby and A. D. Rivers founded the Bagby and Rivers Furniture Company, the predecessor to the Bagby Furniture Company. Bagby and Rivers manufactured furniture and in their 1882 furniture catalog, the company advertises mainly cabinetry.By the turn of the century, Charles T. Bagby was the sole owner of the company which was rebranded the “Bagby Furniture Company.” Charles T. Bagby ran Bagby Furniture until the 1930s, when he sold the company to his distant cousin William Hugh Bagby.
William Hugh Bagby was a man full of ambition. Before becoming president of the Bagby Furniture Company, William Hugh Bagby had actually worked for the company as a salesman. From the position of salesman, William Hugh Bagby began his own business before buying out the Bagby Furniture Company. Under the management of William Hugh Bagby, the company switched from furniture manufacturing to selling wholesale furniture in the forties. William Hugh Bagby passed away in 1988 and his son William Hugh Bagby Jr. became the company president.William Hugh Bagby Jr ran the company until 1990, when Bagby Furniture permanently closed. The furniture company could not compete with the lower prices manufacturers were offering customers if customers purchased furniture directly from the manufacturer.
After the Bagby Company closed their doors, a variety of development plans came up for the property. In 1993, a Baltimore Sun article stated that the Henrietta Corporation intended to build a luxury apartment complex on the property. In 2017, the Atlas Restaurant Group redeveloped the Bagby property into a collection of four Italian restaurants including Tagliata, Italian Disco, the Elk Room, and Monarque. The Bagby building which used to produce furniture, now serves as entertainment for patrons who want dinner and a show.