Site of Denning Frederick St. Slave Pen
Site where the business of slavery once took place.
While nothing remains to indicate what once transpired here, we pinpoint this location to memorialize the victims of enslavement in America.
John Denning moved his operation in 1849 to a pen at this location, 18 S. Frederick Street, which he noted was the house “with trees in front.” He always made a point in his ads that he was ready to pay “cash for Negroes,” often repeating the declaration in each ad. His previous location was on Exeter Street near Fayette Street.