Maryland Women’s History Center

The Maryland Women’s History Center is the first comprehensive state-based women’s history center and museum of its kind in the nation. The Center’s location at the BG&E building is more than fitting. In the early 1900s, a suffrage pioneer named…

Zion Lutheran Church

The Zion Lutheran Church is a piece of German-American history that dates back to 1755. Originally known as the German Lutheran Reformed Church, it served Lutheran immigrants coming from Germany. The congregation held services in private residences…

Hecht-May Company

Adorned with graceful arches and elegant art deco lights the eight story Beaux Arts Hecht-May Co. building at the corner of Lexington and Howard streets (designed by Smith and May architects) was originally built in 1908 as an annex to the Bernheimer…

Stewart's

When Samuel Posner moved his successful dry goods business to the corner of Lexington and Howard, architect Charles E. Cassell's gorgeous and ornate white Renaissance Revival building—complete with roaring lions and majestic wreaths and fluted…

Pascault Row

In 1819, wealthy French merchant Louis Pascault, the Marquis de Poleon, constructed a row of eight houses on Lexington Street that now remain as the one of the earliest examples of the Baltimore rowhouse. Born in France, Pascault later moved to the…

Read's Drug Store

Though the Baltimore Sun heralded the structure at the southeast corner of Howard and Lexington as an Art Deco design icon from the time of its construction in 1934, this building's role as an early and vital witness to a historic, but long…

Five and Dimes on Lexington Street

In contrast to the high-end shopping at Stewart's or Hochschild-Kohn's on Howard Street, West Lexington Street offered goods of all kinds at affordable prices thanks to a row of five-and-tens from Read's Drug Store down to Kresge's on the other side…

Lexington Market

The "gastronomic capital of the world" declared Ralph Waldo Emerson on a visit to Lexington Market. Originally known as the Western Precincts Market, the first market shed on this site was built around 1805 on land first offered for a public market…