Emory Grove, located in Glyndon, has provided its summer residents with spiritual inspiration and respite from Baltimore City's summer heat for over 145 years. Originally founded in 1868 as a Methodist camp meeting site during the religious reawakening that swept the nation in the aftermath of the Civil War, the Grove now welcomes campers of any denomination. The camp’s 47 rustic cottages only recently saw the installation of flush toilets and electric lights but the lush setting in a cool wooded 62-acres has made it an idyllic retreat for generations of Marylanders.
The Emory Grove Hotel, built in 1887, is a stately Victorian structure on the National Register of Historic Places. At the center of the Grove is an open-air tabernacle that is the heart of the community. Religious services are held weekly along with sing-alongs and dance recitals.