Northeast Market was established in 1885 as the area around Johns Hopkins Hospital was developed. The market was enlarged in 1896 and, in 1955, the original wooden structure replaced and modernized with a massive brick building with funds from a $102 million city bond issue. The last renovation of the twentieth century was in the 1980s.
In 2013, the market received a much needed facelift. The market received $2 million in renovations, giving the market a more clean and inviting look. Funds were provided by the Baltimore Public Market Corp. (which owns all six public markets in Baltimore), Johns Hopkins, and the Historic East Baltimore Community Action Coalition, Inc. In addition to exterior renovations, seven new vendor stalls were added and the market has put a focus on healthy eating.