Built in 1873 by the Maryland Baptist Union Association for black Baptists in south Baltimore, Leadenhall Baptist Church has long been a center of activism and source of strength for African Americans in south Baltimore and the Sharp Leadenhall neighborhood. The church was designed, built and furnished by the firm of Joseph Thomas and Son. Established 1820, the company manufactured building materials along with church, bank and office furniture. Many notable community leaders from Sharp Leadenhall, including Mildred Rae Moon and Martha Roach, were members of the congregation, leading the fight to preserve the neighborhood from demolition for highway construction in the 1960s and 1970s. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
By the time of the Civil War,the Thomas firm operated the largest steam turning mill works in the South at Park, Clay and Lexington Streets. The fire of 1873, which destroyed much of what is now the Retail District, began in the Thomas plant.
Today, Leadenhall Baptist Church continues to play an important role in neighborhood life, holding recreational and academic programs for neighborhood children and supporting community residents. However, similar to other churches in the community, many congregants live outside the neighborhood, and commute back for services on Sundays.